Skip to main content

Top 11 Benefits Of Learning A New Language

Top 11 Benefits Of Learning A New Language

Language is like a bridge to knowledge, that helps to close cultural gaps between each other.
A few months ago, during my vacation overseas, I went to try out this particular street food. After I placed my order, the lady smiled and said something in their local language to me, unbeknown by the meaning, I smiled and nod back to her. After she handed my food over, I started munching it. On that night, I had been running back and forth to the toilet, wondering what did that lady had done to my food.
I started to reflect on what happened and I realised that I was being ignorant of what the lady had said to me. Instead of clarifying with her what she meant, I chose to smile and nod.

Prior to my visit, the thought of learning the local language has been lingering in my head, but I was giving myself excuses like I do not have extra time, I do not know where to start or I might take too long to master this language.
After such an unforgettable experience, I became determined to proceed with my thought. Along with my journey, I found out that learning a new language does benefit me in many ways.

11 Benefits Of Learning A New Language

1. Ability Of Selective Attention Control Is Higher

learn-a-new-language-ability-of-selective-attention-control-is-higher
Due to the need of constantly juggling between two or multiple languages, a bilingual or multilingual brain is practised to eliminate irrelevant distraction and allows the focus to be where it needs to be, according to Dr. Judith Kroll, Professor of Psychology and Linguistics. With that being said, by learning a new language enable us to exercise our minds and allowing us to have a longer span of selective focus.

2. Provide A Unique And Customize Experience

“You can’t see other people’s point of view when you have only one language” a quote by Frank Smith.
With customer loyalty as one of the biggest challenges faced by marketers today, by providing a unique customer experience is very crucial as customer retention plays a big part in business development. A remarkable customer service will leave a lasting impression for customers and enticing them to spread a good word about their encounter with their friends and family. One way to achieve that is to speak their language.
For example, a nurse can take better care of her patient if he/she can converse in his/her patient’s language, a customer service representative has higher chance to recover a customer in after sales care if both of them converse the same language.

3. Harmonizing In A Diverse Workforce

learn-a-new-language-harmonizing-in-a-diverse-workforce
Being multilingual helps to build relationships in a deeper level with your co-workers or your superiors. It provides you with the depth of understanding behind someone’s decisions or actions as speaking a foreign language indirectly enables you to understand the culture behind the language as well.
For instances, In Japanese culture, it is common to have Japanese colleague coming up to you and say “otsukaresama deshita” before you leave your workplace. It has the meaning of paying respect to someone who did a good job or thank you for your hard work. Whereas in Swedish culture, the Swedes will take their coffee break during work hours seriously to socialise with colleagues as this can be seen as a way to catch up with each other on work-related news informally, which in Swedish work culture also known as “Fika”.

4. Open Up A World of Job Opportunities

learn-a-new-language-open-a-new-world-of-job-opportunities
Being multilingual or bilingual might just open the door of opportunity to travel overseas. Especially international companies, where some might have their branches or business at different corners of the world, occasionally requires a multilingual employee to travel over, whether is to support a new branch opening, to develop promotion strategies, to meet an important overseas supplier or to visit a project site. Thus, by just learning a new language can increase your chances of being chosen to travel by the company, if possible, with all expenses paid.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top 20 Tips To Increase Stamina

  We all love to be energetic. We have our favourite athletes and sportsmen whose energy we can’t help but marvel at. We get tired merely by climbing two floors and for them, even twenty would be a cake walk. Whenever one mentions the word ‘stamina’, what comes to our mind is physical strength. We do not associate the word to mental exertion. However, mental  stamina  is as important as your physical stamina. The mental aspect of enduring exertion is referred to as endurance. Endurance and stamina are two sides of the same coin and cannot go without each other. Now, you often wonder how to increase stamina by natural means? There are steroids and supplements available but they aren’t the way a lot of people prefer going about increasing stamina. The best part is that you need not go that way at all. There are natural means which are a combination of diet, exercise and lifestyle modifications that can increase your stamina the natural way. Here we are listing the top 20 wa...

INVESTING : Can You Borrow Money to Buy Stocks?

  It seems like an obvious move. We’re in a bull market and stocks are soaring. Interest rates are still near historic lows. If you can borrow money at a single-digit annual interest rate, you should be able to earn enough in the market to pay off the loan and earn a substantial profit. But how does that work in practice? Can you borrow money to buy stocks? And more importantly, should you? Let’s take a closer look. Yes, You Can Borrow Money to Buy Stocks The simple answer to the question is yes: you can invest borrowed money in stocks. It’s a risky strategy. It’s also quite popular, especially during bull markets. Some people have used it very effectively and made money. Others have lost, sometimes badly. That’s the simple answer, but how do you go about doing it? The decision to invest with bor rowed money comes down to comparing the cost of borrowing versus the expected investment returns… If the returns exceed the cost, then the transaction makes economic sense. How Can You Inv...

Sample Letter of Encouragement to Motivate My Son in Hard Times.....

  As a parent, it is your duty to appreciate and encourage your son. There are times that a few words of encouragement can give him all the power and energy to work with more dedication and force to achieve his goals. We must not forget that as our children grow up, they face toughest challenges of life and a   letter of encouragement   from their parents can prove to be the best thing in the hard times. To help you write a wonderful  inspiration letter of encouragement  to your son, we have come up with a sample example letter to give you an idea to write you own. You can also customize this one to suit your needs. Example Letter of Encouragement to Motivate My Son 16.10.2022 Dear Mark, When I took you in my arms for the first time, it was the most beautiful day of my life. And I feel so happy when I look at you because you are not just a great boy to look at but also a wonderful human being inside. Your dad  and I always feel so proud of you that you have...